Fair Grounds Racecourse is a prominent thoroughbred racing facility and a popular racing found in New Orleans - Louisiana. The racecourse is managed by the Churchill Downs Louisiana Horseracing Company, LLC.
In 1839, Bernard Marigny, the then well-known Julius Branch, and Henry Tayloe, arranged race meetings at the Louisiana gaming that started on 20th March and continued for five consecutive days. In middle months of 1852, the famous Union Racecourse, which is presently the location of the top facility, was set up on the landmark Gentilly thoroughfare in New Orleans, giving it the honor of the third oldest racing venue in North America yet in existence, ranking behind Freehold Raceway as well as the globally regarded Saratoga Racecourse.
In mid-2009, leading racing fraternity of North America unveiled a ranking benchmark for 65 Thoroughbred racecourses in North America. Among the top fifteen sporting facilities, the New Orleans horse riding grounding was placed number twelve, after Evangeline Downs which is found in Opelousas which was placed number six.
After some temporary closure, the racetrack was reopened as the "Union Racecourse" in the early years of 1852. The racetrack shut down another time in 1857 as a result of the stiff rivalry from the Metairie racetrack. In 1859, the racecourse was re-titled the "Creole Racecourse." In 1863, the racecourse’s name was altered yet another time to "Fair Grounds" and sporting was hardly conducted in the violent times of the American Civil War.
Nonetheless, the racetrack then shut down when events at the Metairie Course resumed after the nationwide civil conflict. About 1871, the more youthful associates of the Metairie Jockey Club decamped to revive the then non-operational Louisiana Jockey Club with the view of staging racing functions at the racing center. In 1872, the first ever race card was staged at the grounds especially under the endorsement of the firmly established Louisiana Jockey Club.
In 1907, Colonel Winn toured New Orleans to fix the racing calendar and handle other issues in the Louisiana sporting industry. In mid-1908, racing functions were suspended in New Orleans although they resumed in 1915. About 1919, a fire gutted out the main grandstand but the racetrack was yet capable of carrying out a racing meeting. As such, despite the wide-ranging losses occasioned by the unfortunate incidence, equine racing fixtures were soon scheduled to take place at Fair Grounds Racecourse.
In early1921, an auto driving race was staged at the racetrack, the maiden car race at Fair Grounds. In 1940, ground-shifting legislative ratification measures altered the nature of racing fixtures in Louisiana. The racetrack was then leased to some developers for the reason of constructing a subdivision. Around 1941, a small group of sports entrepreneurs salvaged Fair Grounds from imminent demolition. The racetrack reopened and continued conducting many successful sporting events after WWII.
Away from the sound of galloping horses and chants of immensely electrified spectators, Fair Grounds Racecourse is also well-known for its excellent amenities and services. For instance, its dining accommodation and dining sections are an epitome of America’s exquisite hospitality and catering expertise. Also famed for its conferencing halls and supportive incentives for both corporate and social gatherings, Fair Ground Racecourse is no doubt the ideal place to take your important occasion, whether business-related or social.