With a well-designed circuit that measures about one and a half miles, the almost square shaped course was opened in 1771 originally hosting flat racing fixtures, with jump racing commencing in 1840.
Due to issues regarding the lease between Arena Racing Company and Herefordshire Council, National Hunt fixtures at the racecourse were suspended in 2012. The last meeting was held on 16 December 2012. During the 4 year closure Arab horse racing was held at the facility, as well as point to point racing hosted by the North Herefordshire Hunt and the North Ledbury Hunt.
Racing fans, patrons and enthusiasts now have something to smile about as Hereford Racecourse re-opened on 6th October 2016, with four well-attended fixtures taking place in 2016. In 2017 there are 11 fixtures with the race season taking place from October – March.
Hereford Racecourse has eight private hospitality boxes with balconies overlooking the racecourse for those looking to enjoy a special occasion at the races. There is also the Rusty Bridge Restaurant, named in honour of local Champion Jump Jockey Richard Johnson’s first ever winner here at Hereford Racecourse, Rusty Bridge. Packages start from £45 per person in the restaurant which has views overlooking the racecourse. There is also the Kidwells Grandstand and Bar which is accessible for all customers serving a selection of refreshments and snacks. The racecourse operates a single enclosure policy so one admission ticket gets you into all areas of the racecourse. Admission tickets start from £18 with discounts available for booking in advance.
For more information on the racecourse please contact the racecourse office on 01432 273 560
Tel: 01432 273560
Contact details: Hereford Racecourse, Roman Road, Hereford, HR4 9QU